Wednesday, November 19, 2014

3+ Books I Read More than Twice This Month

These are what I call my “Stairmaster” favorites because I literally climb the Stairmaster at 24-hr Fitness while devouring them. They made my best work-out buddies...

1. “Start” by Jon Acuff




- After reading his other book, “Quitter”, which piqued my interest in writing, “Start” has given me the keys to drive and explore the craft. Be awesome, NOT ordinary! And here are the stages to be awesome with some key points that will never leave me: 1. Learning- Be selfish at 5AM for at least 30 minutes a day. 2. Editing- Find the diamonds and rocks in your life. 3. Mastering- Volunteer. Don’t be a jerk! 4. Harvesting-Even if you harvest a thousand accomplishments during your time in this land, treat them as rewards for what you do, not the reasons for what you do. 5. Finally, Guiding- The desire to help others is a natural by-product of being AWESOME!





2. “Love is a Verb” by Gary Chapman

- Last summer, the library had a lot of copies for this so I grabbed one since Gary Chapman is one author whose other book, “The Five Love Languages” helped made our marriage flourish. I couldn't put it down. I have to share it with friends and families because love is indeed a verb. Now go ahead, type: “Love is a verb.” And receive a new copy from me (shipping to any parts of the world included). 




3. “Entreleadership” by Dave Ramsey

- I think I read all of his books but this one has moved me the most. In this, Dave Ramsey shares his formula for success: 




For the Christmas season, he’s only selling this book for $10. Go grab your copy now…

http://www.daveramsey.com/store/books/entreleadership-20-years-of-practical-business-wisdom-from-the-trenches/prodentre.html

Last but not least (Drumroll, please!)

4. “Matilda” by Roald Dahl

- Of course, I don’t bring this to work-out! But before bedtime, all four of us gather in my daughter’s room to read one chapter each night. She has a tree decal on the wall and glow-in-the dark stars on the ceiling, combined transform the kids’ world to what’s in the books’. While I rarely read fiction, I think this is the best dose of one.




A time to read is so scarce, I understand. But like any other, the task put on the back burner will be consigned to oblivion if not intentionally listed as a priority. On Stephen Covey’s time management matrix, tasks are classified into four categories: Important and Urgent, Important but NOT Urgent, Urgent but NOT Important and NOT Important and NOT Urgent. Erase all that are neither IMPORTANT nor URGENT, also the Urgent but NOT Important because really they are not at all important. Then list your book reading to Important but NOT Urgent. You will have a time for this indulgence.

Enjoy this treasure in the mundane! 

And if you ever get my giveaway book, enjoy it forever!

Love always,

Maria (Ehma) Porpio

Playroom Decor

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love that matrix by Stephen Covey that I used it to prioritize my tasks a few years ago: http://meworkwise.blogspot.com/2011/10/four-quadrants.html

    Thank you for sharing this book list. :) would love to read Dave Ramsey. Soon.

    ReplyDelete