Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Ignite a Spark: Friends Inspiring Friends

By Maria (Ehma) Porpio


What is a Spark Plug?

I don't know how a spark plug works. Although I heard of this thing before when I worked at my dad's hardware store, I never had an interest about this particular spare part until just recently, when I started writing this blog. Other than Google, I suspect nobody can get me instant and better information about the mechanics and purpose of a spark plug except my spouse. By the time he opened his mouth, my selective hearing turned on. All I heard was, “the spark plug sparks and ignites the mixture.” just what I wanted to hear. Then I digressed.

Meet The Spark People:



It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. There are friends at all times.
During a fundraising "Bake Sale" for Typhoon Haian



Mojito Night

Liza C-
 She makes her own laundry detergent and softener. Recently, we texted and shared recipes, compared cost, and celebrated over an amazingly effective, natural and cheap laundry detergent. Quiet but fiercely inspiring, she paved my way to the life-changing books of Dave Ramsey and Gary Chapman. She runs marathons too.
Here is Liza's laundry detergent recipe which only cost less than $15/year:
1 cup Borax= $4/box 1 cup Washing soda= $4/box 1 grated Fels-Naptha=$2/bar
Combine and use only 2Tbsp/load.



Therese H-
 I flipped through David Bach's "Smart Couple, Finish Rich" book and couldn't put it down. Since then, I was a changed woman. Thanks to Therese for the book and all her gifts of time, friendship and love. She always knows how to instigate an intellectual conversation.

Carine L-
 Matthew 5:14 "You are the light of the world. A town built on the hill cannot be hidden." This passage is made for Carine. A nurse by heart and profession, we can always tell her positive influence emitting on us. She bleeds enthusiasm, motivation and love.

Iris A-
 An artist and triathlete, she taught us and many others to let our own light as she shines brightly herself. Such a beautiful influence to the world!

Inspire Friends, Ignite a Spark
The 4 gentle souls above are so different, yet they have one thing in common: All of them relentlessly aim to better themselves. In so doing, they effortlessly ignite a spark of inspiration to their circle. Nobody's perfect and they're not exceptions. But within the confines of their limitations lies the strength to be vulnerable, to be true, and to be stripped of pretentious assumptions of what their hearts are full of. It's not their spotlight moments that made them my friends for the long haul but it is during their weakest points of struggles, loss and disappointment (sometimes to our spouses) when I see myself in them.
Each one of them believes one is not 7-11 whom they can call for convenience only. I put emphasis on this because lasting friendships are stable, not unmoored in the sea of emotional rants and raves. Two live a thousand miles while the other two, only a 10-minute drive on the interstate. However, everyone is present during gatherings in a form if emails and prayers. For them, it is important.
Let me tell you a story about my son. He loves to clean his ears. Ask him to wipe the table, vacuum the floor, and sometimes, do the dishes, as long as there’s cotton buds prepared to clean his ears. He'll do anything for anyone as long as they allow him to clean his ears. We might not understand why he loves to clean his ears but for him, it's rather important.
Friendships take a lot of work. You have to plant and toil before you harvest the fruit of better understanding from a friend. But as “cleaning the ears” is important to my son, you’ll do the best that you can to keep the friendship if you deem it important.
However, sometimes no matter what you do, no matter what you say, everything is misconstrued by a friend. Find a breather. Make yourself better from what you used to. Ignite a spark. Inspire people. Maybe, someday that friend whom you've invested your energy upon will come back to you in time. But during the process, thank her because she’s the tool that you became better. God has awesome ways of teaching us how to find TREASURES in the MUNDANE.



You are loved!

(This post is dedicated to my 4 friends who propelled me to write.)

No comments:

Post a Comment